Mission & History

Midway City Sanitary District Mission Statement

The Board of Directors and Employees of Midway City Sanitary District work diligently to provide sewer and solid waste services to the residents of the District. Our top priority is to accomplish this in an ethical, efficient, and cost effective manner that will protect the health and safety of those we serve.

Brief History

For more details, please visit our Historical Timeline.

Old truckMidway City Sanitary District, as originally formed, had a service territory between Hazard to the north, Newland to the east, Sugar (McFadden) to the south and Eucalyptus (Hoover St.) to the west. Currently, the service area covers 10.4 square miles and provides service to all Westminster and Midway City residents and businesses.

  • On January 13, 1939, the first meeting of the Governing Board of the Midway City Sanitary District was held at the Fire Hall in Midway City.

  • On December 13th, 1940, solid waste and garbage collection notices were distributed to all houses and places of business within the District.

  • In 1949 the Board meetings were held at 14842 (209) Monroe Street in Midway City.

  • On January 22nd, 1953, bids were opened for the construction of sanitary sewer mains within the original district. The cost was $1,141,975.90

  • On May 7th, 1953, bids were opened for the construction of sewage pump stations. The cost was $81,800.

  • sewer truckIn 1954, the Board meetings were moved to 7826 Westminster Blvd., then

  • In 1958, were held at 7631 13th and was also utilized as the maintenance yard.

  • In 1965, the District moved its entire operation to 14451 Cedarwood Ave. in Westminster the same place it resides today.

  • In 1994, the District changed the way Solid Waste was picked up, by investing $5,000,000 to go automated, and in doing so, effectively diverted 59% of the solid waste from the landfill.

  • In 1998 the District built their new headquarters at 14451 Cedarwood Ave. and did so without borrowing or increasing user fees. The District also started its decade long sewer improvements, which included Closed Circuit Television Inspection to locate repairs.

  • From 1999 to 2010 the District has invested over $19,500,000 in to its sewer system, which includes new dual force mains and the rehabilitation and facility improvements to all four lift stations. All of this was mandated by the State and unfunded.

new truckThe Board of Directors and the dedicated District employees of MCSD help keep both the City of Westminster and Midway City a clean and safe place to live, by successfully reducing the number of sewer spills, providing residents with solid waste containers and providing special programs. The service the District provides to the people of Westminster and Midway City is second to none.